Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hey! Whatever happened to...

How to start?  Isn't that so often the hardest part of anything?  How to take the first step?  

I'll start by explaining why I walked away from the blog, and from so many encouraging voices, for so long...

I ran into some trouble with it. 

People who remained nameless, nonetheless recognized themselves in some of my narratives and observations and became offended.  

Also, someone took one of my pictures of the girls in front of a restaurant and posted it on a questionable site, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it.    

And I became increasingly aware of the didactic nature of the mommy blogging world, especially in Christian homeschooling circles, and I didn't want to be a part of that.  I didn't want to BE that.

But all this time my husband has gently encouraged me to get back to blogging...to process my thoughts and to stack the rocks on my altar of remembrance, so to speak...and to encourage others in the way of the Word.  If my candor can serve to do that for anyone, well then, it is a worthy pursuit indeed. 

By way of re-introduction...
 
I'll tell you that Fifi is now 17, moving into her senior year, still loving literature and language and disdaining her math, and still playing the violin, preparing Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor for her senior recital sometime next spring.  She loves the Lord, questions doctrine, formulates opinions, exhibits deference for her parents, grace in her dealings with others and continues to be a wonder to watch as she blooms into a competent and God-glorifying adult. All because HE is so good.


Dumpling is 12, and so kind and merciful--she moves to the aid of anyone in need with alacrity.  Also, she finds a lot to like about math--yippee!  She, like Fifi, has been shielded from the usual middle-school story line diet of drama, infatuation and the supernatural so that she is free to be herself: befriending whomever is in the room, playing "mermaid" in the pool, and cutting up old socks to fashion clothes for her dolls. After a little time with the guitar, she chose to take up the flute--mostly because it's shiny.  She professes belief in Jesus and asks good questions about faith and assurance. 

Cuddlebug will be 10 within the week.  She's got the gift of service, always wanting to interject herself into the thick of the work, and usually doing it better than whoever taught her how to do it in the first place.  She's very animated--I blame, or credit, Pixar for this.  I often marvel that I seem to be carrying on a conversation with a cartoon character.  She enjoys composing on the piano, dancing with her sister, and would probably be a track star if God had given her to different parents.  She's often the quietest one in the room, but regularly comes out with a forever friend.  Go figure. 

And alas, my post is longer than I mean for it to be.  Clearly, I don't Twitter.  

8 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

I am so glad you are back. I can't believe how your girls have grown. My blog is mostly quiet as I cope with a newborn (ok now 7.5 month old), but I hope to be back soon. I miss it. And I have missed you.

Linda A said...

I love your writing! Thanks for returning~

Beth said...

Welcome back! Glad I left you in my reader!

celadon2 said...

hello, long time no see. Your girls are so big now and so grown up. My youngest is 21 later this year and about to go to university after 4 years hard work finding out what she wanted to do and working for it.
I've got a new line of work, and you can catch up with it here
http://susansharpeceramics.wordpress.com/ I also have a Grandson and he's 4 and adorable.

Susan

Jacque said...

I found your blog after you'd quit writing and was blessed to read your thoughts. Pretty regularly I would logon so that we could listen to your wonderful play list while doing our schoolwork!

So fun to see how your children have grown and looking forward to future posts. Thanks for coming back!

Madeleine said...

Whoa!! I am thankful life has been good to you this whole time. Well, except for the horrid picture thing with you girls...

And I rejoice in HIS goodness in you life.

Continue to be a blessing.
~madeleine

Jacque said...

I'd just like to say (in mock indignation) that if you were going to change your blog, and then not blog, you could have at least left the old blog up so that we could enjoy your wonderful play list.

Thank you. :)

Grafted Branch said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry Jacque. I can't remember why I took the playlist down, but I think that there was too much opportunity for the source to change things up without my being able to catch up. Once, I think some rap music was substituted for a track I chose. It was strange. I'll see what I can find to put something up again. Also, I can't believe my last post was 6 months ago. It feels like a few weeks...